Our Favorite Things to Do in the West Loop Before Brunch
We carefully chose Chicago’s West Loop neighborhood as our newest location because it has so much going for it. There’s always something new and exciting to see or do, as this area is home to fantastic bars, restaurants and cafes, beautiful parks, one-of-a-kind shops, art galleries and some of the friendliest people around. There’s something in the West Loop to suit absolutely every taste and lifestyle.
One of our favorite things to do is challenge ourselves to get out and explore something new in the neighborhood every week. And what better time to do so than before brunch! Sure, most people look forward to sleeping in on a weekend morning to simply roll out of bed and put themselves together just in time to meet friends for brunch. But, we like to extend the fun (and our favorite get together of the week) by working up a bit of an appetite before tucking into one of our comfy tables at Chicago Waffles for a plate of bacon and chicken waffles.
That’s why we’re sharing some of our favorite things to do in the West Loop on weekend mornings before brunch. Whether you’re looking for a quiet walk in the park or a stimulating market excursion, we think you’ll find something fun on this list that may even become part of your pre-brunch routine. Here’s what we like to do:
- Randolph Street Market Festival – More than 100 vendors selling antique housewares, furniture, ephemera, clothing and more gather at this indoor-outdoor festival. We like to stop in for a peek at the newest finds in vintage clothing and jewelry. There’s also a vinyl swap meet, a fancy food market and so much more. The festival typically occurs on the last weekend of each month.
- Mary Bartelme Park – If you’re taking the whole family out for brunch, this is a great park for the kids. There’s not traditional play equipment, but there are swings, slides and lots of other cool things to run around on. It’s a beautiful place to enjoy the morning air and take in the stunning views of the Chicago skyline.
- Brooklyn Boulders – For those looking to get a unique workout in before brunch, check out Brooklyn Boulders. This expansive West Loop rock climbing facility offers classes for both beginners and pros. Plus, it’s a great topic of conversation when you sit down to eat and your friend asks, “Have you done anything new lately?”
- Aspect Ratio – While this art gallery isn’t open on Sundays, it’s still a great place to check out after a Saturday (or weekday) brunch. It is the place to go for video art as the only commercial video art space in the city. The gallery curates with this specific medium in mind showing off top film-focused exhibitions and performance art from emerging contemporary artistic voices.
- Threewalls – Though this gallery too isn’t open on Sundays, it’s one that you won’t want to miss. It is perhaps one of the most community-focused galleries in all of Chicago, showcasing exhibitions and public program like symposiums, lectures, performances, publications and more. We recommend meeting up with some friends when they open to look around. Then you can join us for brunch and discuss the pieces you saw.
No matter how you start your mornings off before brunch, just know that we’ve got some good eats here, waiting just for you. So, check out our West Loop location. We know our menu will make brunching with Chicago Waffles one of your new favorite things to do!